This one-dish Vegan Choucroute Garnie, based on the traditions of Alsace, is a savory, plant-based version filled with the goodness of sauerkraut, plant-based sausage, vegetables, and spices.
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
- 3 carrots, sliced into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 large vegan sausages (i.e., Field Roast, Tofurky, or home-made), sliced in half
- 1 ½ cups fresh sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 8 juniper berries
- ¼ cup whole grain mustard
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Prepare vegetables and sausage and arrange in a baking dish.
- Top with fresh sauerkraut, olive oil, bay leaves, peppercorns, and juniper berries.
- Toss together ingredients in the baking dish to distribute evenly.
- Place in top shelf of oven and bake uncovered for about 45 minutes, until vegetables are tender and golden brown.
- Serve with whole grain mustard as desired.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free, plant-based sausage
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: French, Alsatian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 391
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 1086 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 26 g
Keywords: vegan french dinner, french food, french recipe