This rustic vegan, gluten-free soup is inspired by Eastern European food traditions, with its foundation of beets, cabbage, carrots and onions—beet greens are added too for health and flavor.
- 1 bunch fresh beets with tops (about 3 large beets)
- 1 ½ teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, halved, and sliced
- ½ medium head cabbage, sliced into thin shreds
- 5 cups water
- 2 cubes vegetable bullion broth base
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ fresh lemon, juiced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives or herbs
- ½ cup vegan sour cream (may also purchase pre-made vegan sour cream)
- Prepare beets by cutting off leaves at top, trimming, removing roughy, woody spots, and scrubbing well. Slice into matchstick pieces. Reserve tops, including stems and leaves.
- Measure olive oil into a large pot. Heat olive oil and add sliced beets, carrots, garlic, and onions. Sauté, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes.
- Add cabbage, water, bullion base, and bay leaves. Stir well, cover with a lid, and cook for 20 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, coarsely slice beet leaves and stems. Add to soup with lemon juice. Cover and cook for 2 minutes, just until leaves are wilted but bright green. Add black pepper to taste. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve into 8 soup bowls (about 1 ¼ cups per serving). Garnish with fresh chopped chives or herbs and 1 tablespoon of vegan sour cream.
Instant Pot Directions: Follow step 1 above. For steps 2 and 3, place all ingredients in the container of the Instant Pot. Press “Soup” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. When done, add beet leaves and lemon juice in step 4 to hot soup, season with black pepper if desired, and garnish with chives.
Slow Cooker Directions. Follow step 1 above. For steps 2 and 3, place all ingredients in the container of the Slow Cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours, according to manufacturer’s directions. When done, add beet leaves and lemon juice in step 4 to hot soup, season with black pepper if desired, and garnish with chives.
- Category: American
- Cuisine: Eastern European
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 56
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 293 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: vegan borscht, borscht recipe