The savory flavors of vegetables and tofu in a creamy sauce, topped with flaky whole wheat biscuits, is all the motivation you need to get a healthy one-dish meal on the table in about an hour.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 potato, peeled, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 15-oz package extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Sea salt (to taste, optional)
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened (i.e., soy or almond)
Whole Wheat Biscuits:
- Heat olive oil in a large (about 12-inches) cast iron skillet or sauté pan, and sauté onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and garlic for 8 minutes.
- Add tofu, peas, and parsley, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add flour, marjoram, mustard, celery salt, black pepper, and sea salt (optional) and stir to coat vegetables.
- Add broth and plant-based milk.
- Stir well, cover, and continue to cook over medium heat until it’s bubbly and thick—about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- To Make Whole Wheat Biscuits: Place flours and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl. Add baking powder and stir well. Cut in margarine with a fork until crumbly. Add plant-based milk and stir to combine well, without over-stirring. Place biscuit dough on a floured surface and roll out to about 1 inch thick. Cut out with 2-inch biscuit cutter or a 2-inch glass to make 8 biscuits.
- Place biscuits evenly on the surface of the vegetable pot pie in skillet or sauté pan.
- Place in the center of the oven and bake until biscuits are golden brown and firm, about 20-25 minutes. Serve in the cast iron skillet.
- Makes 8 servings.
If you want to make this recipe into individual pot pies, divide filling into 4-8 (depending on their size) individual, oven-proof baking dishes (i.e., ramekins, soup bowls, small skillets) and top with biscuit dough. Bake until golden brown.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 333 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 49 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 15 g
Keywords: vegan comfort food, vegan pot pie, pot pie recipe