This savory soup is a bright, sunny shade of orange—the perfect way to cheer up the cloudiest of days. Its hearty flavor and texture makes it ideal to pair with a simple salad or sandwich half.
Yields 10 (1 cup) servings
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 cube vegetable bullion
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 small turnips, chopped
- 2 small red potatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red lentils, dried
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Place water and tomatoes in a large pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add vegetable bullion cube, onion, celery, carrots, turnips, garlic, red lentils, smoked paprika, turmeric, and cumin. Stir well, cover, and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, until vegetables are just tender.
- May need to add additional water to replace water lost to evaporation. Should make a thick, hearty stew.
I am not a fan of gluten-free diets without medical necessity, as there is simply no research pointing to benefits from omitting gluten unless you have a condition such as celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity. Gluten-containing foods, such as whole wheat, barley,...
Happy Friday! I can’t wait to share some of my favorite plant-powered things with you this week. That’s a photo (above) of my fall/winter garden in Southern California, where we have two distinct seasons in the home garden. Spring/summer is all about tomatoes, summer...
Enter to win our monthly Plant-Powered Giveaway in order to win a variety of fabulous prizes!
Check out Sharon’s upcoming schedule of speaking engagements and culinary demonstrations.