Lentil Taco Filling:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ small jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on spice preference)
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils (packaged, canned, or cooked from dried, according to package directions)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
Toppings and Tortilla:
- 8 small (about 6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 ¾ cups shredded cabbage (red and/or white)
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup plant-based sour cream (get my recipe here)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Sauté onions, garlic, and jalapeno over medium heat for about 8 minutes, until soft.
- Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, brown sugar (optional), salt (optional) and cayenne pepper (adjust for your spice preference) and sauté for another minute.
- Add lentils and stir. Cook for about 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add lemon juice, tomato paste, and water and mix well, stirring and heating for an additional 2 minutes.
- Heat tortillas in microwave or oven just until soft.
- To prepare tacos: Top each tortilla with about 1/3 cup lentil taco filling, 1/3 cup shredded cabbage, 2 cherry tomatoes, 1/8 avocado, 1 tablespoon plant-based sour cream, and 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro.
- Makes 8 small tacos.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 209
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 100 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 8 g
Keywords: vegan taco, taco, lentil tacos