Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Taco Filling:
- 1 medium (about 2 pounds) head cauliflower, broken apart into small florets (about 3 ½) cups)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes*
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- About ½ cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- Salt (as desired, optional)
- 10 small corn tortillas
- 2 ½ cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 20 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 stalks green onion, sliced
- Place raw cashews (for the cashew crema) in a dish, cover with water, and soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Taco Filling: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place cauliflower florets and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt (optional), and combine well. Spread into a baking sheet, and place in oven. Roast for about 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, assemble toppings and the base to make the tacos. You can prepare the tacos individually, or place all of the toppings on a serving platter for people to prepare their own tacos. Heat the taco shells in the hot oven for about 3 minutes to soften.
- To make Cashew Crema: After the cashews have softened for 30 minutes, drain off the water and add cashews, along with the lemon juice, garlic, white pepper to a small blender container. Add ¼ cup of the plant-based milk, and process the cashew crema until smooth. Add additional plant-based milk as needed to create a smooth, creamy texture. If desired, season with a pinch of salt (optional). Transfer to serving dish. Makes about 2 ¼ cups.
- To prepare tacos: line tortillas with ¼ cup cabbage, ½ cup cauliflower and chickpeas filling, 2 slices avocado, 4 cherry tomato halves, 3 tablespoons avocado crema, and garnish with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 tablespoon green onions.
- Makes 10 tacos
May serve all fillings and toppings in individual serving dishes and let guests build their own tacos.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
Keywords: vegan cauliflower tacos, cauliflower tacos