Build a better taco with these flavorful, healthy 100% plant-based tacos, which includes a spicy jackfruit filling, protein-rich black beans, high-fiber quinoa, crunchy cabbage, and a fluffy avocado crema. Get them on the table in 30 minutes.
- ½ cup cashews, soaked in water*
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 small avocado
- 4–5 tablespoons plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- Salt (as desired, optional)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 14-ounce can jackfruit, unsweetened, drained
- ¼–1 teaspoon hot sauce (depending on your taste preference)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 small limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, gluten-free, reduced sodium
- Salt (as desired, optional)
Quinoa and Black Beans:
- 1 15.5-ounce can Cuban-style black beans**, drained
- 1 cup cooked rainbow quinoa, seasoned with salt and pepper (optional)
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- To make Avocado Crema: First, *soak the cashews for 30 minutes in water. (Prepare remaining steps in this recipe while the cashews are soaking.) Drain off water and add cashews, along with lemon juice, garlic, white pepper, and avocado to a blender container. Add 4 tablespoons plant-based milk and process until smooth. May add additional plant-based milk if needed to make a smooth, creamy texture. If desired, season with a pinch of salt (optional). Transfer to bowl.
- To make Jackfruit Carnitas: While cashews are soaking, prepare this step. Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté onion, jalapeno, and garlic for 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano and stir well. Drain the jackfruit, and separate into strands with your fingers. Add it to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Add hot sauce (adjust for your preference of spiciness), tomato paste, lime juice, and soy sauce. Continue to cook, breaking apart jack fruit with a fork, for an additional 4 minutes, until vegetables are soft, seasonings are well blended, and jackfruit is separated into strands. Remove from heat.
- To make Black Beans and Quinoa: While you are cooking jackfruit carnitas, heat beans and cooked quinoa separately in the microwave until warm, may season quinoa with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Prepare toppings: Toast corn tortillas in a toaster oven or on the top rack of the oven for about 3 minutes for open-face or folded crispy tacos, or heat them in a pan for 2 minutes for soft tacos.
- To prepare tacos: line tacos with a layer of cabbage, quinoa, black beans, and jackfruit carnitas. Top with a dollop of avocado crema and garnish with cilantro. Makes 6 tacos.
May serve all fillings and toppings in individual serving dishes and let guests build their own tacos.
**You can find Cuban style canned black beans at many stores. If you can’t find them, substitute plain black beans and flavor with 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning blend.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
- Serving Size: 1 taco each
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 120 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 58 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 11 g
Keywords: vegan tacos, jackfruit tacos, healthy tacos