Who needs chicken when you can enjoy the plant-based version in this Fresh Orange Tofu with Brown Rice, which includes a zesty, lighter sauce with fresh oranges, ginger, garlic, and red chilis, served over whole grain brown rice.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (according to package directions)
- 1 ½ cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ cup soy sauce, reduced sodium, gluten-free
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (or ground Szechuan peppers)
- 1 fresh orange, unpeeled, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Red chilis, fresh or dried (optional)
- Cook brown rice, according to package directions, using rice cooker or stove top.
- For best results, press tofu (*see directions for pressing tofu here; or simply wrap tofu between paper towels and place between two plates with something heavy rested on top for about 10 minutes to allow liquid to drain off). While tofu is being pressed, make the Orange Sauce.
- To make Orange Sauce: Place orange juice in a medium saucepan. Stir in cornstarch with a whisk, blending until smooth. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, orange zest, ginger, garlic, coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar), and red chili pepper flakes (or Szechuuan peppers), and stir with whisk until smooth. Bring pan to heat over medium setting, and stir occasionally until the sauce comes to a simmer (about 3-4 minutes). Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 8 minutes, until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- While sauce is cooking, pan-fry the pressed tofu.
- Slice tofu into 2-inch cubes.
- Place 3 tablespoons cornstarch in a shallow dish, and roll cubes of tofu into cornstarch to evenly cover surface.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Pan-fry tofu for about 10 minutes, turning cubes to evenly cook all sides of the tofu until they are golden brown.
- Pour orange sauce over the tofu, and cook until the sauce becomes more thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Serve 3.5 ounces of tofu with ½ cup sauce over ½ cup rice for each serving (4 servings).
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 379
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 664 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 55 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: vegan orange chicken, best vegan orange chicken recipe