This easy stir-fry is a great way to give the intriguing vegetable bitter melon a try.
- 1 bitter melon
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 15-ounce package extra firm tofu, cubed
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (may adjust per spice preference)
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Slice bitter melon in half horizontally, scoop out seeds, and slice.
- Bring a small pot of lightly salted water to boil, place sliced bitter melon in water, cover, and boil for 1 minute. Drain and place in ice water bath until cool.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet or wok and add onions, carrots, garlic, ginger, and bell pepper, sautéing for 6 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked bitter melon and tofu, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, until heated through and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, prepare the sauce by combing soy sauce, agave syrup, rice wine vinegar, sriracha sauce, water, and corn starch in a small bowl, mixing until smooth. Pour into skillet, and stir fry until sauce is thickened, about 1-2 minutes
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve over cooked whole grains, such as brown rice, quinoa, or farro.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 457 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: vegan dinner, vegan stir fry, bitter melon recipe