This fragrant, flavorful creamy chickpea curry dish (which is vegan and gluten-free) is rich in the flavors of turmeric, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, and garam masala with a light coconut milk sauce and hearty chickpeas.
- ¼ medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green chili, quartered
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 4 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 1 1-inch piece fresh turmeric (or 1 teaspoon dried, ground)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can light coconut milk
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 15-ounce cans (3 ½ cups) chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Place onion, chili, ginger, garlic, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, mustard, salt (optional), black pepper, and brown sugar in the container of a food processor or high-powdered blender. Process for a few minutes, until very smooth, and makes a paste.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, and add seasoning paste to the pan, sautéing for 3 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- Add coconut milk and tomato paste, reduce heat to medium low, and stir well while heating for 4 minutes, until sauce is thick, creamy and bubbling.
- Add the chickpeas, stirring well to combine, and cook, stirring frequently, over medium-low heat, for 4-5 minutes, until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve over cooked whole grains (i.e. brown rice, sorghum, quinoa, millet) as desired.
- Makes 8 servings (about ¾ cup chickpea curry per serving)
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: curry, vegan curry, healthy curry