The vibrantly flavored, Indian classic comfort food, Chickpea Curry with Sorghum, is super easy to make at home with a few simple ingredients—chickpeas, canned tomatoes, spices, and brown rice.
- 4 cups cooked sorghum, according to package directions
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small (or 1/2 large) green chili, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 15-ounce cans (3 ½ cups) chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Cook sorghum in water, according to package directions, until tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large sauté pan, skillet, or pot and add onion, chili, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, mustard, turmeric, salt (optional), black pepper, and brown sugar, sautéing for 9 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add canned tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add cilantro and chickpeas, stirring well to combine.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 20-25 minutes, until thickened.
- Add garam masala, lemon juice, and mix well.
- Serve over cooked sorghum.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup sorghum with ¾ cup chickpea curry
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 23 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 67 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: curry, vegan curry, healthy curry