- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small (or 1/2 large) green chili, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen, shelled edamame
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Cook basmati rice in water, according to package directions, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a larges skillet and add onion, chilies, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, mustard, turmeric, salt, and black pepper, sautéing for 9 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add canned tomatoes, and mash any large chunks with a wooden spoon to break them apart.
- Add cilantro and edamame, stirring well to combine.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 20-25 minutes, until thickened.
- Add garam masala, lemon juice, and mix well.
- Serve over brown basmati rice.
InstantPot Directions: For steps 2-6, add all ingredients in these steps to the Instant Pot and push the “Bean/Chili” setting. Serve with cooked basmati rice. Note: You can use the rack and cook the rice in a separate container above the edamame masala.
Slowcooker Directions: For steps 2-6, add all ingredients in these steps to the Slowcooker. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve with cooked basmati rice.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 181 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 58 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 12 g