Filled with a colorful, flavorful tofu, papaya, and coconut filling, these Curried Tofu Papaya Wraps are a delicious treat as an appetizer or for lunch.
- ½ cup (119 g) canned light coconut milk (well mixed before measured)
- 1½ teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (see Notes)
- One 12-ounce (340 g) package extra firm tofu, drained and cubed (pressed, for best results)
- 1 medium papaya, peeled and diced
- ½ cup (48 g) chopped green onions, white and green parts
- ¼ cup (15 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- Pinch of sea salt, optional
- Six 9-inch (23 cm) whole grain tortillas or wraps
- 3 cups (102 g) fresh watercress, or baby salad greens, if unavailable
- Mix together the coconut milk, curry paste, ginger, garlic, turmeric, soy sauce, and cayenne in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Fold in the tofu, papaya, green onions, and cilantro. Taste and season with sea salt, if desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (or overnight, if desired).
- Place one tortilla on a cutting board. Spread ½ cup of the tofu mixture down the center of the tortilla in a row. Top with ½ cup of the watercress.
- Fold the right side of the tortilla over the center and start to wrap tightly, pressing in as you wrap. Place the wrap on a serving dish seam side down.
- Serve as a whole wrap for an individual meal (cut in half for easier eating), or slice into thin pinwheels for an appetizer.
Adjust the spiciness of the wraps by increasing the cayenne pepper.
Store the curried tofu wraps in plastic wrap or in an airtight container as a perfect lunch to go.
If you won’t be consuming all of the wraps at one time, reserve the filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator and prepare the wraps no more than four hours before serving time to prevent the greens from wilting and the wrap from getting soggy.
Variation: If papaya is not available, substitute 1 large mango or 2 large peaches.
From Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps and 125 Delicious Recipes Copyright © 2014 Sharon Palmer
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American, Thai
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 256 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan wrap, healthy vegan wrap, tofu wrap