This comfort food dish for Eggplant Parmigiana was inspired by rustic Italian flavors and the eggplants and tomatoes growing in my garden.
Cashew Cream Cheese:
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- 1/2 small lemon, juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch sea salt and white pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons whole grain bread crumbs
Herbed Marinara Sauce:
- To Make Cashew Cream: Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 2 hours. Drain cashews. Place cashews in a blender with lemon juice, soy milk, garlic, salt and pepper (optional), and nutritional yeast. Process cashews until very smooth. May have to pause and scrape down sides a few times. Texture should be thick and creamy.
- To Make Eggplant: Preheat oven to 400 F on the broiler setting. Chop eggplant into thin vertical slices and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle evenly with salt and bread crumbs. Place in oven on top rack and broil for 8 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 375 F bake setting.
- To Make Herbed Marinara Sauce: Mix marinara sauce with garlic, basil, oregano and black pepper in a small bowl.
- To Assemble: In a 9×9 baking dish, place ½ cup marinara sauce on bottom and spread out evenly. Layer half the roasted eggplant on top of the marinara sauce, followed by half the remaining marinara sauce, and half the cashew cream. Repeat layer one more time with remaining ingredients. Place uncovered in 375 F oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove, allow to cool for 5 minutes, slice into squares, and serve.
Learn how to make cashew cream here.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 352 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: parmigiana, eggplant, vegan eggplant parmigiana