Turn to marinara sauce and a cornucopia of vegetables—summer squash, eggplant, bell peppers, and onions—to make this plant-based (vegan) Pasta with Marinara and Roasted Vegetables sing with rustic simplicity.
- 3 small summer squash (i.e., scallop, yellow, zucchini), sliced
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper (red, yellow, or green), sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt to taste (optional)
Pasta and Toppings:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prepare vegetables: Arrange summer squash, eggplant, onions, and bell pepper on a baking sheet.
- Mix together vinaigrette by combining olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, black pepper and sea salt in a small dish.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over vegetables and toss with tongs to distribute.
- Place on top rack of oven and roast for about 30 minutes, until golden brown and tender. When done, remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, toast pine nuts by placing them in a small baking dish in the hot oven for about 5 minutes while vegetables are roasting. Remove and set aside.
- Also, prepare pasta by bringing water to boil in a medium pot. Add pasta and cook to al dente stage (according to package directions). Place in colander and rinse and drain.
- Add marinara sauce to pot and heat until bubbling. Remove from heat and add cooked pasta, stirring gently to distribute ingredients.
- Divide pasta with marinara sauce among 4 pasta bowls (or plates). Top with roasted vegetables, pinenuts, and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 369
- Sugar: 18 g
- Sodium: 116 mg
- Fat: 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 54 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: vegan pasta, pasta with marinara, healthy pasta recipe