This vegan recipe for the classic Swedish Beet Potato Apple Salad is filled with colorful root vegetables and apples.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, diced
- 5 whole pickled beets, diced (reserve liquid)
- 2 apples, peeled, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 dill pickle, finely diced
- ¼ cup reserved pickled beet liquid
- 8 ounce vegan cream cheese (i.e. Daiya, Tofutti, or Follow Your Heart)
- 2 tablespoons plain soy milk, unsweetened
- Black pepper to taste
- Place diced potatoes in a medium pot, cover with water, cover with a lid and boil until potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes). Drain and add cooked potatoes to a mixing bowl. Cool slightly.
- Add diced beets, apples, onion, pickle, and reserved beet liquid. Mash slightly with a potato masher, just to soften ingredients. Do not overmash, consistency should be smooth with chunks.
- Whip vegan cream cheese and soymilk with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Fold vegan whipped cream mixture into salad and stir just until well combined. Season as desired with black pepper.
- Chill until serving time.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Swedish
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 92
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 117 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan salad, swedish salad