The cool weather combination of butternut squash, kale, and hazelnuts are wrapped together in this comfort food recipe which is hearty enough to be the star of your plate.
- 1 cup barley, uncooked
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 pound (about 3 ½ cups) butternut squash, peeled, cubed
- 1 bunch kale (about 6 cups), chopped coarsely
- ½ bell pepper, chopped (red or yellow)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
Tahini Ginger Dressing:
- Place barley and water in a medium pot, cover, and cook over medium heat for about 25 minutes.
- Add squash to pot, cover, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until barley is chewy tender and squash is firm yet tender. Remove from heat, and drain any leftover liquid.
- While barley is cooking, place chopped kale in a large bowl.
- Create dressing by mixing all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Pour dressing over kale and with clean hands, massage dressing into kale leaves.
- Add green onions, hemp seeds, hazelnuts and cranberries to kale and toss well.
- When barley and squash are done cooking, immediately pour them into bowl with kale and toss; the heat will help tenderize the kale. Serve immediately while warm, or cool to serve.
- Makes 4 servings, about 2 1/2 cups per serving.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 26 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: salad, kale, barley