I love the “nourish bowl” trend, which capitalizes on a healthful whole grain bowl topped with a combination of veggies, nuts, seeds, and a flavorful sauce. This nourish bowl is a twist, featuring lentils as the base for a nutritious, delicious bowl, topped with roasted winter vegetables and fruits. Prepare the lentils (or use canned or refrigerated packaged lentils) and roast your veggies to pre-prep this meal in advance. It’s a great option for packing up a winning lunch for the office.
Yields 6 servings
- 7 cups (about 1 pound dried) cooked French green lentils (see notes below to make lentils from scratch)
- 3 cups chopped, peeled winter squash (2-pound squash, such as butternut or acorn)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or use fresh herbs, such as oregano, thyme, and rosemary)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 large pomegranate)
- ¾ cup pecans
- Prepare lentils (see instructions below if you want to cook from scratch) or used prepared, seasoned lentils (refrigerated or canned, packaged). Set aside.
- To prepare Roasted Winter Vegetables: Preheat oven to 375 F. On a large baking sheet, evenly arrange chopped squash, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. In a small dish, mix olive oil, vinegar, and seasoning (may season with salt and pepper, if desired). Drizzle over vegetables and toss to distribute evenly. Place on top rack of oven and cook until golden brown and tender (30-35 minutes).
- To prepared Nourish Lentil Bowls, divide lentils among 6 individual serving bowls (1 heaping cup each). Divide roasted vegetables among each bowl (about 1 cup each). Top with pomegranate seeds (about 3 tablespoons each) and pecans (2 tablespoons each). Optional: May garnish with greens, such as arugula, basil, or spinach).
Seasoned Lentils (If preparing from scratch): 1 pound French green lentils, dried 1 cup white wine 4 cups water 1 vegetable bullion cube 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or use fresh herbs, such as rosemary, basil, thyme, and oregano) Salt and pepper (optional, as desired)
To Prepare Seasoned Lentils: Place all ingredients in a medium pot, cover, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 35-40 minutes, just until tender yet firm. Makes 7 cups cooked lentils.
As an alternative style of serving this dish, prepare it family style by transferring lentils into a large serving bowl or casserole, and topping it with roasted winter vegetables, pomegranates, pecans, and optional garnish.