This vegan, gluten-free lentil bowl is filled with the goodness of lentils, squash, mushrooms, pomegranate arils, and pecans.
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils, dried
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups chopped, peeled winter squash (2-pound squash, such as butternut or acorn)
- 1 medium red, white or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or use fresh herbs, such as oregano, thyme, and rosemary)
- Salt and black pepper, as desired (optional)
- 2 cups baby greens (i.e., arugula, kale, lettuce, spinach)
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Prepare lentils by bringing broth and water to boil in a small pot. Add lentils, cover, and cook over medium, stirring occasionally, until tender but not mushy (about 25 minutes). Remove from heat, drain any liquid that was unabsorbed, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare roasted vegetables: Preheat oven to 375 F. On a large baking sheet, evenly arrange chopped squash, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. In a small dish, mix olive oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper, as desired. Drizzle vinaigrette over vegetables and toss with tongs to distribute evenly. Place vegetables on top rack of oven and cook until golden brown and tender (30-35 minutes).
- To prepare Nourish Lentil Bowls (makes 4 large bowls—3 cup capacity): Arrange one-fourth (about 1 cup) of cooked lentils in the bottom of each bowl. Arrange one-fourth of the roasted vegetables (about 1 1/2 cups each) on top of the lentils. Top each bowl with1/2 cup greens, 1/4 cup pomegranate arils, and 2 tablespoons pecans.
- Serve immediately, or chill until serving time.
Instant Pot Directions: Place lentils, broth and water in the Instant Pot and press “Bean/Chili setting” according to manufacturer’s directions. Follow steps 2-4 as listed above.
Slow Cooker Directions: Place lentils, broth and water in the Slow Cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Follow steps 2-4 as listed above.
As an alternative style of serving this dish, prepare it family style by transferring lentils into a large serving bowl or casserole, and topping it with roasted winter vegetables, pomegranates, pecans, and optional garnish.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 89 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 51 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 14 g
Keywords: vegan power bowl, best power bowl, vegan bowl recipe