- 7 cups (about 1 pound dried) cooked French green lentils (see notes below to make lentils from scratch)
Roasted Winter Vegetables:
- 3 cups chopped, peeled winter squash (2-pound squash, such as butternut or acorn)
- 1 red or white onion, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or use fresh herbs, such as oregano, thyme, and rosemary)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 large pomegranate)
- ¾ cup pecans
- Prepare lentils (see instructions below if you want to cook from scratch) or use prepared, seasoned lentils (refrigerated or canned, packaged). Set aside.
- To prepare Roasted Winter Vegetables: Preheat oven to 375 F. On a large baking sheet, evenly arrange chopped squash, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. In a small dish, mix olive oil, vinegar, and seasoning (may season with salt and pepper, if desired). Drizzle over vegetables and toss to distribute evenly. Place on top rack of oven and cook until golden brown and tender (30-35 minutes).
- To prepared Nourish Lentil Bowls, divide lentils among 6 individual serving bowls (1 heaping cup each). Divide roasted vegetables among each bowl (about 1 cup each). Top with pomegranate seeds (about 3 tablespoons each) and pecans (2 tablespoons each). Optional: May garnish with greens, such as arugula, basil, or spinach).
Seasoned Lentils (If preparing from scratch): 1 pound French green lentils, dried, 1 cup white wine, 4 cups water, 1 vegetable bullion cube, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or use fresh herbs, such as rosemary, basil, thyme, and oregano), Salt and pepper (optional, as desired). To Prepare Seasoned Lentils: Place all ingredients in a medium pot, cover, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 35-40 minutes, just until tender yet firm. Makes 7 cups cooked lentils.
Instant Pot Directions: Place lentils and seasonings (see above for Seasoned Lentils) in the Instant Pot and press “Bean/Chili setting” according to manufacturer’s directions. Follow steps 2 and 3 as listed above.
Slow Cooker Directions: Place lentils and seasonings (see above for Seasoned Lentils) in the Slow Cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 8-12 hours. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Follow steps 2 and 3 as listed above.
As an alternative style of serving this dish, prepare it family style by transferring lentils into a large serving bowl or casserole, and topping it with roasted winter vegetables, pomegranates, pecans, and optional garnish.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 482
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 260 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 66 g
- Fiber: 27 g
- Protein: 23 g