These 100% whole grain Sunshine Orange Whole Wheat Rolls are very light on sugar and fat, 100% plant-based, and 100% delicious.
- 1 cup warm (110 F) soymilk, plain, unsweetened
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 .25-ounce package (2 ¼ teaspoons) rapid-rise yeast
- 3 tablespoons melted, dairy-free margarine
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds, ground
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 ½ – 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 orange, zested
Orange Walnut Filling:
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 oranges, zested, juiced
Orange Glaze: (optional)
- 1 orange, zested, juiced
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- In the bowl of an electric mixer stand (or use a hand-held electric mixer), gently stir together soymilk, maple syrup, and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Using electric mixer with dough hook attachment, mix in melted margarine and flaxseeds until smooth.
- Mix in salt (optional), 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour, and the zest from one orange. If needed, add just enough additional whole wheat flour to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Continue to mix with the electric mixer on medium low for 6 minutes.
- Remove dough from mixer bowl and place in a clean large bowl sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Place in a warm place (about 80-90 F), cover with a clean towel and let rise in warm (not hot) place for 1 hour, until about doubled in size.
- While dough is rising, make Orange Walnut Filling: Heat dairy-free margarine in a small skillet and stir in walnuts, maple syrup, and the juice and zest of two oranges. Stir until melted and bubbly. Set aside.
- Punch down dough and turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Using a pastry roller, roll into a rectangle about 12 x 17 inches.
- Spread Orange Walnut Filling evenly over the surface of the dough.
- Tightly roll up the dough horizontally, so that you are left with an approximately 17-inch tube of dough.
- Slice roll with a serrated knife into approximately 1 ½-inch slices to create 14 cut rolls.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and arrange cinnamon rolls in dish, cut side down.
- Cover with a clean dish cloth and let rise in warm place for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place baking dish in oven, uncovered, and bake for about 35 minutes, until cooked through and slightly golden.
- Make the Orange Glaze (optional): Place the zest of one orange in a small dish. Add powdered sugar. Stir in orange juice, one tablespoon at a time, until you achieve desired texture for a glaze. Set aside.
- Remove rolls from oven. Drizzle with the glaze.
- Serve immediately. Makes 14 servings.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 221
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 47 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 6 g