This 100% plant-based sweet potato bread is made with super nutritious sweet potatoes, whole grains, flax and chia seeds, walnuts and applesauce. Light on sugar and rich on nutrients, it’s a delicious bread you can feel really good about.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- ¼ cup plant-based milk
- ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup wheat flour (white whole wheat, whole wheat or all purpose)
- ¾ cup nut flour or meal, such as almond, hazelnut, or pecan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Place chopped sweet potato in a pan or microwave safe dish, cover with 1 cup water, and boil or microwave until tender (about 8 minutes in microwave, 15 minutes in pan). Remove from heat, drain and reserve ½ cup cooking water and set aside. Mash sweet potatoes with a potato masher until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place chia seeds, flax seeds, plant-based milk, ½ cup reserved cooking water, and applesauce in a large mixing bowl and allow to soak for 2 minutes. Mix well with an electric mixer.
- Add oil and coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar) and mix well with mixer.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice and combine just until well blended.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into loaf pan. Place in oven and bake for about 1 hour and 25 minutes.
- Makes a dense, moist loaf. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Gently remove bread from the loaf pan. Slice and serve warm. Store in refrigerator.
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 258
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 169 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: vegan bread recipe, sweet potato bread