This vegan stuffing is rich with the flavors of cornbread, leeks, mushrooms, celery, cranberries, and walnuts.
- 1/2 batch (9×9-inch dish) prepared vegan cornbread (reserve remaining cornbread), from scratch or mix
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt, as desired (optional)
- Make one batch (9×9-inch) vegan cornbread according to package directions or recipe instructions. When cornbread is done, set aside and cool slightly.
- While cornbread is baking, place whole wheat bread on a baking dish in the oven and toast until brown and dry (about 8 minutes)—do not burn.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add leek, garlic, and celery, sautéing for 9 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, rosemary, cranberries, walnuts and black pepper, and sauté for an additional 4 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Slice half of the batch of cornbread into small cubes (about 1 inch square). Reserve the remaining cornbread if needed (see 9) and to enjoy for other uses (serve it with soup or chili).
- Slice the whole wheat toast into small cubes (about 1 inch square).
- Transfer the cornbread and whole wheat cubes to a large mixing bowl. Add sauteed vegetable mixture and gently toss.
- Add vegetable broth and gently toss. You should achieve a moist (but not soggy) with all liquid is absorbed. If too moist, add a bit more of the reserved cornbread if needed to create desired texture. Taste and season with salt, if desired.
- Spray a large (3 quart) casserole dish or baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and transfer the stuffing to the dish.
- Place in the oven, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free cornbread and bread.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 224 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vegan stuffing, best stuffing recipe, stuffing recipe, homemade stuffing