- 1 ½ pounds fresh broccoli or broccolini
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded, sharp plant-based cheese, (i.e., soy, almond; divided)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Place broccoli in pot, cover, and cook for about 8 minutes, until just tender but bright green. Drain, and transfer cooked broccoli to a 9-inch casserole dish.
- While broccoli is cooking, make walnut-crumb mixture. Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spray a baking dish or baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, ¼ cup shredded plant-based cheese, walnuts, rosemary, and 1 tablespoon olive oil, mixing well.
- Transfer walnut crumb mixture to the baking dish or sheet and place on top rack of oven. Bake 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While broccoli and walnut-crumb mixture is baking, make sauce. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan and add onions and garlic, sautéing for 5 minutes. Add flour and cook an additional minute. Stir in broth and plant-based milk, and cook for an additional minute. Stir in ¾ cup plant-based cheese and black pepper, and heat until thick and creamy. Season with salt if desired.
- Pour sauce evenly over broccoli in casserole dish. Sprinkle with crumb walnut mixture. Serve.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free bread crumbs and use cornstarch instead of flour.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 208 mg
- Fat: 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.5 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
Keywords: au gratin, vegan au gratin recipe, vegan comfort food, comfort food recipe