If you’re looking for a comfort food, holiday side-dish, or potluck contribution, look no further than this yummy, easy casserole. I adapted this 100% plant-based recipe from a California Walnut recipe, which I featured on a recent Hallmark TV Channel Home & Family show. Try substituting cauliflower for broccoli for a quick alternative.
You can watch the holiday segment from the Hallmark Channel here.
Yields 8 servings
- 1 ½ pounds fresh broccoli or broccolini
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded, sharp plant-based cheese, (i.e., soy, almond; divided)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup plant-based milk, unsweetened, plain (i.e., soy, almond)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt (optional, to taste)
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Place broccoli in pot, cover, and cook for about 8 minutes, until just tender but bright green. Drain, and transfer cooked broccoli to a 9-inch casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spray a baking dish or baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, ¼ cup shredded plant-based cheese, walnuts, rosemary, and 1 tablespoon olive oil, mixing well.
- Transfer walnut crumb mixture to the baking dish or sheet and place on top rack of oven. Bake 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan and add onions and garlic, sautéing for 5 minutes. Add flour and cook an additional minute. Stir in broth and plant-based milk, and cook for an additional minute. Stir in ¾ cup plant-based cheese and black pepper, and heat until thick and creamy. Season with salt if desired.
- Pour sauce evenly over broccoli in casserole dish. Sprinkle with crumb walnut mixture. Serve.