These vegan, healthy Herbed Lentil Patties with Mushroom Sauce are packed with lentils, whole grains, veggies, and seasonings, offering a comforting meal or fabulous entree.
Herbed Lentil Patties:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) small green or brown lentils, dry
- 1/4 cup quinoa (or may substitute for another tiny, quick-cooking ancient grain, such as teff, amaranth, or millet)*
- 3 cups vegetable broth, reduced sodium
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- 1 medium carrot, shredded finely
- 3 green onions, chopped finely
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats, dry
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Pinch salt (optional)
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium, gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (additional for garnish)
To make Herbed Lentil Patties:
- Place lentils and quinoa (or other ancient grain) in a small pot and add broth. Cover and simmer over medium heat about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very tender. You may have to add additional water to compensate for evaporation during cooking.
- Drain any leftover liquid and transfer cooked lentils and teff to a bowl and mash slightly.
- Add flax seeds, carrot, onions, basil, garlic, oats, oregano, and black pepper to bowl with lentils and teff and mix well. Add mustard, soy sauce and vinegar and stir well to moisten all ingredients. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Press ½-cup lentil patty mixture into a measuring cup or scoop, place onto the baking sheet, and flatten down to create firm, round patties about ½-inch thick. Form 8 patties with mixture.
- Place in oven on top rack and bake for about 40 minutes, until golden and firm. Remove and serve with mushroom sauce.
To make Mushroom Sauce:
- While lentil patties are baking, make Mushroom Sauce. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Whip together soymilk, flour, salt (optional), black pepper, and soy sauce with a whisk in a small bowl until smooth with no lumps.
- Pour mixture into saucepan and cook for about 8 minutes, until bubbly and thick.
- Stir in chives.
- Serve about 5 tablespoons sauce per portion.
*Choose a quick-cooking ancient grain of your choice, such as quinoa, teff, amaranth, or millet, available at most natural food stores or online.
*Teff is a tiny ancient grain. Look for it at natural foods stores or online. You can also substitute it with uncooked quinoa in this recipe.
Make this gluten-free by using gluten-free oats and substituting corn starch for the wheat flour.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 patty + 5 tablespoons sauce
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 223 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan balls, veggie balls, vegan dinner