These vegan, healthy Herbed Lentil Patties with Mushroom Sauce are packed with lentils, whole grains, veggies, and seasonings, offering a comforting meal or fabulous holiday entree.
Herbed Lentil Patties:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) small green lentils, dry
- 1/4 cup (about 2 ounces) teff*, dry
- 3 cups vegetable broth, reduced sodium
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- 1 medium carrot, shredded finely
- 3 green onions, chopped finely
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats, dry
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
To make Herbed Lentil Patties:
- Place lentils and teff in a small pot and add broth. Cover and simmer over medium heat about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very tender.
- Drain any leftover liquid and transfer cooked lentils and teff to a bowl and mash slightly.
- Add flax seeds, carrot, onions, basil, garlic, oats, oregano, and black pepper to bowl with lentils and teff and mix well. Add mustard, soy sauce and vinegar and stir well to moisten all ingredients. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Press ½-cup lentil patty mixture into a measuring cup or scoop, place onto the baking sheet, and flatten down to create firm, round patties about ½-inch thick. Form 8 patties with mixture.
- Place in oven on top rack and bake for about 40 minutes, until golden and firm. Remove and serve with mushroom sauce.
To make Mushroom Sauce:
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Whip together soymilk, flour, salt (optional), black pepper, and soy sauce with a whisk in a small bowl until smooth with no lumps.
- Pour mixture into saucepan and cook for about 8 minutes, until bubbly and thick.
- Stir in chives.
- Serve about 5 tablespoons sauce per portion.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 patty + 5 tablespoons sauce
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 223 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan balls, veggie balls, vegan dinner