This completely plant-based, vegan, gluten-free salad recipe is inspired by the pure flavors and ingredients of Greece: olives, tomatoes, peppers, onions, capers, oregano, and lemons.
- 1 pound butter beans, dried (may substitute large lima beans)
- 8 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 cup small tomatoes, halved
- 1 bell pepper (red, green, or yellow), coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup Kalamata olives
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small lemons, juiced
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- Black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Soak beans in water overnight.
- Drain water and add beans to a large pot. Cover with 8 cups water and add 1 vegetable bullion cube. Place lid on pot and simmer for about 1 ½ hours, until tender yet firm.
- Drain any leftover liquid and cool.
- Place beans in a large bowl and add onions, tomatoes, pepper, olives, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano and capers. Combine well. Season with pepper and sea salt as desired.
- Serve at room temperature or chill until serving time.
- Makes 8 servings (about 1 cup each)
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 412 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: greek, bean salad, healthy salad, mediterranean