These vegan tofu mushroom tacos are an easy, interactive meal solution you can get on the table in under 20 minutes.
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and pressed for best results
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups finely chopped mushrooms (e.g., white, baby portobello)
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, diced
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons prepared salsa, plus 1/2 cup for serving
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- One 15-ounce can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained (or 1¾ cups cooked)
- 2 cups packed leafy greens
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, cored, and sliced into 8 pieces
- Eight 6-inch whole grain tortillas (e.g., corn, whole wheat)
- 1 cup shredded plant-based cheese, optional
- Plant-based sour cream, optional
- Shred the tofu with a grater or in a food processor (with shredding attachment).
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the shredded tofu, mushrooms, green onions, and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the salsa, taco seasoning, and soy sauce. Sauté for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the black beans in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium heat until warm.
- Arrange the greens, tomatoes, and avocado on a platter.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave or in a hot skillet for 30 seconds.
- To assemble the tacos: Fill each tortilla with about ¼ cup of the tofu-mushroom mixture, ¼ cup of black beans, ¼ cup of greens, 3 tablespoons chopped tomato, 1 slice of avocado, 2 tablespoons of plant-based cheese, a dollop of plant-based sour cream (if desired), and 1 tablespoon of salsa.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 430 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: mushrooms, vegan taco, tofu taco