How to Make Avocado Toast
Don’t you just love avocado toast? That creamy green topping on a crunchy piece of toast, topped with freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of sea salt. Yum! Perhaps you’ve even had it topped with extra ingredients, from radishes to arugula leaves, which just amplifies the flavors of your avocado toast experience, right? But did you know that it’s the easiest thing in the world to make it at home? I mean really easy. Master the art of a really simple avocado toast, and then build upon those skills with additional toppings. Just follow my step-by-step guide below and learn how to make it today. Check out my easy recipe for Rustic Avocado Garlic Toast here.
This version is topped with fresh dill from my garden.
Step-by-Step Guide for Making Avocado Toast:
1. Pick Out a Ripe Avocado. Start with a very ripe avocado. It should feel soft and yield to the touch, without feeling mushy.
2. Slice the Avocado in Half. With a knife, simply slice the avocado in half lengthwise, and remove the pit. You can do this by grabbing the round hard pit with the tip of your knife, then popping it out with a tiny bit of pressure.
3. Scoop out the Avocado. With a spoon, just scoop out the flesh of the avocado from the peel—trying to get as much of that good green stuff as possible—and empty it into a small dish.
4. Mash the Avocado. With a fork, mash the avocado until you achieve a creamy texture.
5. Season the Smashed Avocado. Stir in a little lemon juice, minced garlic, salt and pepper to season the avocado toast.
6. Toast the Bread. Select your favorite whole grain bread (I like rustic, thickly sliced bread myself) and toast it until it’s crispy and golden brown in the toaster, toaster oven, or oven. Remember that one batch of this smashed avocado recipe serves 4 slices of toast.
7. Spread with Smashed Avocado. Spread a thick layer of the smashed avocado over the toast.
8. Top Avocado Toast. Now, get creative. Top it with toppings that appeal to you. This photo above features edible flowers. But you could also select from some of my favorite toppings below.
Plant-Powered Avocado Toast Toppings
Try out these plant-powered toppings (as many or as few as you like) to add a kick of pizzazz to your creation.
- Watermelon radish slices
- Shaved cauliflower (raw or roasted)
- Lemon-marinated chopped kale
- Heirloom tomato slices
- Field or wild greens (mache, mesclun, sorrel, dandelion or purslane)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Kalamata olives
- Fresh cilantro
- Roasted red peppers
- Edible flowers (pansies, nasturtium, rose petals)
- Sriracha sauce
- Smoked paprika
- Baked tofu
- Roasted eggplant
- Curried chickpeas
- Sliced strawberries
- Mango slices
- Hemp seeds
For more recipes featuring avocados, try some of my favorites:
To learn more about avocado nutrition and cooking tips, check out this Top 5 Ways to Use Avocados.