I love this winter salad, which calls upon the seasonal combination of grapefruit (I used pink, but you could use any color), avocados, tender mixed greens, and lemons. I have all of these growing in my winter garden in Southern California, which I harvested for this salad. Toss it up with my lemon cumin vinaigrette for a bright pop of flavor.
Yields 4 servings
- 4 cups assorted baby salad greens
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds, roasted
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon cumin, ground
- Pinch salt and black pepper (as desired, optional)
- Line a salad bowl or platter with salad greens.
- Peel the grapefruit with a sharp knife, removing pith (white membrane). Slice into horizontal circles. Arrange grapefruit over greens.
- Slice avocado into thin slices. Arrange over grapefruit.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
- Whisk together in a small dish the olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad.
- Serve immediately.