The jewel-like black beans gleam in this crunchy, zesty Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Salad. It’s even better the next day!
- One 15-ounce can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (according to package directions)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mango
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- Juice from 1 medium lemon
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
Substitute kidney or pinto beans for the black beans, or use cooked barley, bulgur, rice, or farro instead of the quinoa.
If you’re in a rush, buy precooked quinoa that comes in handy 1-cup servings.
To substitute home-cooked black beans for the canned beans, use 1 ¾ cups cooked beans in place of the drained canned beans.
This dish may be served warm by heating all ingredients in a saucepan for 3 to 5 minutes, only until heated through.
This recipe is from The Plant-Powered Diet, by Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 164
- Sodium: 93 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vegan salad, healthy salad, black bean salad