You’ll never guess that these moist Peanut Butter Chocolate Chickpea Bars have a whole can of chickpeas in them! These are the perfect vegan dessert.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained (reserve liquid)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter, creamy
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup coarsely chopped peanuts
- ¾ cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Chopped peanuts
- Dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Drain chickpeas, reserving liquid. Place reserved chickpea liquid in a kitchen mixer bowl (or use an electric mixer) and whip until thick and foamy. Set aside.
- Place chickpeas, peanut butter, peanut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla in the container of a food processor. Process until smooth—about 3 minutes.
- Remove chickpea mixture from food processor and add to bowl with whipped chickpea liquid. Add flour and baking powder. Gently fold into the whipped chickpea liquid with a rubber spatula (so as not to break the emulsion) until smooth. Do not overmix. Fold in peanuts and chocolate chips.
- Spray a 9 X 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into pan and bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour, until golden brown and firm.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes. Do not slice while warm, as the bars will crumble. When cool, slice into 16 bars.
To learn more about making aquafaba, visit my blog here. This recipe makes very moist, dense bars. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 122 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: vegan chickpea bars, vegan dessert, easy vegan dessert