These completely plant-based, vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chickpea Bars are filled with a whole can of chickpeas! Low in added sugars and oils, and rich in whole plant food ingredients, these healthy bars offer a naturally delicious taste.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained (reserve liquid)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter, creamy
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup coarsely chopped peanuts
- ¾ cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Chopped peanuts
- Dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Drain chickpeas, reserving liquid. Place reserved chickpea liquid (aquafaba) in a kitchen mixer bowl (or use an electric mixer) and whip until thick and foamy. Set aside.
- Place chickpeas, peanut butter, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla in the container of a food processor. Process until smooth—about 3 minutes.
- Remove chickpea mixture from food processor and add to bowl with whipped chickpea liquid. Add flour and baking powder. Gently fold into the whipped chickpea liquid with a rubber spatula (so as not to break the emulsion) until smooth. Do not overmix. Fold in peanuts and chocolate chips.
- Spray a 9 X 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into pan and bake in the center of the oven for 50-60 minutes, until golden brown and firm.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes. Do not slice while warm, as the bars will crumble. When cool, slice into 16 bars.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 122 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: vegan chickpea bars, vegan dessert, easy vegan dessert