This Cranberry Apple Leek Whole Grain Stuffing is just the thing you need for your holiday table, Sunday night dinner, or comfort food plant-based meal.
- 1 loaf (14 ounces) rustic, whole grain bread, cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small leek, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red apple, with peel, diced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon herbal seasoning mix (i.e., Italian, Mrs. Dash, etc)
- Salt and black pepper, as desired (optional)
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place cubed bread on a baking dish and place in oven, baking for 15 minutes. Remove and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan and sauté leek, celery, clove, apple, and cranberries for 8 minutes. Add sage, pecans, seasoning, salt and pepper (if desired), and cook for an additional minute.
- Add vegetable-cranberry mixture to the dish with bread crumbs. Toss together. Add enough broth to moisten the mixture, and mix well.
- Pour stuffing mixture into a large casserole or baking dish and bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with a savory sauce, such as this mushroom sauce.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 65 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: stuffing, cranberry, apple, thanksgiving