- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 whole cloves garlic
- 2 quarts water
- ½ ounce dried mushrooms
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 cups assorted fresh herbs (parsley, sage, oregano, thyme, marjoram, basil, savory)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce, gluten-free
- Pinch sea salt
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and add onions, carrots, celery, bell pepper, green onions and garlic. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add water, mushrooms, peppercorns, herbs, bay leaves and soy sauce. Stir well, cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Taste and add a pinch of sea salt if desired. Strain soup, and set aside vegetables (this makes a delicious side dish!).
- Use broth immediately for dishes as desired, or chill in the refrigerator for up to one week. May freeze leftovers, too.
- Serving Size: 1