- 3 beets, cooked, chopped with 2 tablespoons reserved beet liquid
- ¾ cup unflavored, unsweetened plant-based milk
- ½ cup expeller-pressed canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chia seed
- 1 tablespoon flax seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup maple or coconut palm sugar (may substitute with brown sugar)
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
“Cream Cheese” Icing
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon beet juice (or pomegranate juice)
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces fresh raspberries
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, grated
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Puree cooked beets with reserved liquid from cooking beets until smooth.
- In a mixer, blend together pureed beets, plant-based milk, oil, chia seed, flax seed, and vanilla. Mix for 2 minutes and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Mix in sugar, flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt just until smooth.
- Spray 2 round cake pans with non-stick spray and pour batter into bans—dividing the amount equally between both pans. Spread evenly onto pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove cakes from pan and allow to cool.
- To make icing, whip together cream cheese vanilla, reserved beet liquid or pomegranate juice, and powdered sugar to make a creamy, soft icing.
- When cake is cooled, place the bottom layer on a cake pan. Spread with a layer of icing, and ¼ of the raspberries.
- Top with the second cake layer.
- Ice top and sides of cake. Decorate with raspberries and dark chocolate and refrigerate until serving time. Bon appetit!
Keywords: red velvet cake, beets, vegan cake, all-natural