Call upon the flavor of seasonal cranberries for these festive, tender Vegan Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup dairy-free stick butter, softened
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 orange* (for zest, 1-2 tablespoons juice, see below)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats, dry
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, finely chopped
- Place dairy-free butter and sugar in bowl and mix with an electric mixer (or vigorously by hand) until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in *1 tablespoon orange juice and vanilla.
- Mix in the *zest of one orange, flour, oats, almonds, baking powder, and salt (optional) to make a crumbly texture. May add additional orange juice (up to 1 tablespoon) if needed. Mix by hand to create a smooth, cohesive, and creamy batter that holds together, but is not sticky. Do not overmix.
- Finely chop cranberries in a food processor or by hand using a knife. Gently fold in the cranberries into the dough.
- Cover and place dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Separate dough into 3 equal sections, and roll out by hand into 3 logs, about 1 ½-inches in diameter each.
- Slice into thin sections, about ¼- to 1/2-inch each, so that each log yields 10 slices.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes, until just barely golden.
- Store in airtight container.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 83
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 19 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: cranberry, cookies, shortbread