These soft molasses cookies are made with aquafaba, nutrient-rich almond meal, and the sweet aromatic appeal of baking spices.
- ½ cup aquafaba* (liquid from 1 15-oz can of beans)
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¾ cup coconut palm or brown sugar
- ¾ cup dairy-free margarine (i.e., Earth Balance)
- ½ cup almond meal (or hazelnut or peanut meal)
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place aquafaba* (bean liquid) in a mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer until thick (about 4 minutes).
- Mix in molasses, coconut palm or brown sugar, and dairy-free margarine until smooth.
- Mix in almond meal, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt (if desired) just to make a smooth mixture, do not overmix.
- Spray two baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drop cookie batter by spoonfuls onto baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Place in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, until cooked through and firm.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 145 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: vegan cookie, cookie recipe, molasses cookie