This Snow Pea Seitan Stir-Fry with Brown Rice calls upon seitan to provide a savory, protein-rich touch, along with the crunch of snow peas, carrots, and peppers. This vegan, gluten-free recipe is a one-dish meal, providing sources of protein, slow-digesting carbs, and veggies all in one pan.
- 4 cups cooked brown rice*
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely sliced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 medium bell pepper, coarsely sliced (red, green, or yellow)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 9 ounces snow peas, cut in half
- 8 ounces seasoned seitan, chopped
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce, gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar
- ¼ cup reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- Cook the rice according to package directions, set aside. (*A general rule of thumb is 1 cup uncooked brown rice + 2 ½ cups water cooked for 40-50 minutes makes 3 cups cooked rice. This may vary depending on variety of rice.)
- Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil in a large sauté pan or wok over medium heat.
- Add the carrot and onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, and red chili pepper flakes and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, snow peas, and seitan, and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Mix the soy sauce, vinegar, agave, broth, and cornstarch in a dish until smooth. Add to the pan with the vegetables and continue to sauté for about 3 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Serve ½ cup brown rice topped with 1 cup of stir-fry. Garnish with green onions.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Asian, American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup rice and 1 cup stir-fry
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 342 mg
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan stir fry, healthy vegan stir fry, best vegan stir fry