This fabulous plant-based pizza recipe is as satisfying as it is pretty—the multi-colored potatoes forming a crust showcase rich, savory layers of marinara, plant-based cheese, smoky tempeh, greens and herbs.
- 12 ounces small multi-colored (red, yellow, or purple) new potatoes, do not peel
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray (or olive oil in a mister)*
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- ½ teaspoon oregano, dried
- ½ cup plant-based cheese, shredded
- 5 medium mushrooms, sliced
- ½ package (6 ounces) tempeh bacon, chopped
- ½ cup chopped greens (chard, kale, mustard greens, collard greens)
- 1 stalk green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, tarragon, marjoram
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Thinly slice potatoes and place in a bowl. Toss with corn starch, salt, and black pepper to coat thoroughly. Don’t overly coat with corn starch mixture, use just enough for a fine topping.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate or cake pan with removable bottom with olive oil cooking spray (or olive oil in a mister)*.
- Layer potatoes in concentric circles on the bottom of the pie plate, overlapping. Make sure that potatoes are packed closely together so as to create a tight crust. Spray surface with olive oil cooking spray*.
- Place potato crust in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes, until golden and tender when pierced with a fork. While potato crust is cooking prepare remaining ingredients.
- Remove the potato crust from oven and spread gently and evenly over the surface with marinara sauce. Sprinkle with dried oregano. Arrange plant-based cheese, mushrooms, and tempeh bacon evenly over surface.
- Return to oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until toppings are golden.
- Remove from the oven. Cool for about 5 minutes. Top with chopped greens, sliced green onion, and fresh herbs.
- Remove from dish, slice into 4 quarters, and serve. Makes 4 slices.
*If you don’t have olive oil cooking spray or an olive oil mister, drizzle olive oil in the bottom of the pan in step 3 and use a paper towel to moisten surface with olive oil. In step 4, drizzle a small amount of olive oil evenly over the surface.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 735 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan pizza, potato crust pizza, vegan pizza recipe