- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (i.e., basil, tarragon, rosemary, parsley)
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, dried
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups Fiber OneTM Original Bran Cereal, broken into smaller pieces
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds ground
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Finely chop vegetables using a food processor. Place onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms, and herbs in the container of a food processor, and pulse on low for a few minutes until vegetables are finely chopped, but not liquified. Alternatively, chop vegetables finely by hand.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped vegetables and walnuts, and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add lentils, broth, and soy sauce, and stir well. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and lentils are very tender.
- Add Fiber One cereal, flax seeds, and pepper. Mix well. Add just enough breadcrumbs to make a firm texture that holds together when squeezed, but is not too moist or too dry.
- Transfer to a container, cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour to make handling easier.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 2 baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop up a large spoonful of mixture, and, using hands, press together to shape into veggie balls about 1 ½ – 2 inches in diameter. Place on baking sheets.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until firm and lightly browned on surface. Remove from oven. Serve immediately.
- Serve in pita bread with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Serve with a plant-based mushroom gravy as an entrée.
- Serve in marinara sauce with pasta.
- Serve as a hot appetizer with dipping sauces.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 balls
- Calories: 212
- Sodium: 375 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: vegan dinner recipe, veggie balls, best veggie balls