These plant-based Golden Beet Veggie Balls with Almond Sage Crema make the perfect party appetizer, holiday entrée, or comfort food dish.
- 1 bunch fresh golden beets (about 5)
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed drained (about 1 ¾ cups)
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (may use gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
Almond Sage Cranberry Crema
To make Veggie Balls:
- Trim beets and scrub outside surface, leaving peels on. Shred beets with food processor or box grater.
- Place beans in a large mixing bowl and mash slightly with a potato masher to achieve a thick mixture with some lumps.
- Add beets, onions, garlic, mushrooms, parsley, hazelnuts, flax seeds, breadcrumbs, sage, tarragon, thyme, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Toss together well.
- Mix in soy sauce, tahini, and lemon juice—using hands to combine mixture well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 375 and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Form 24 golf ball-sized balls out of the mixture and place evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake veggie balls in top rack of oven for about 40 – 45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with Almond Sage Cranberry Crema.
- Makes 8 servings (3 veggie balls each)
To Make Almond Sage Cranberry Crema
- Soak almonds in water for 2 hours (or overnight).
- Drain water and place soaked almonds in the container of a blender or food processor.
- Add 4 tablespoons plant milk, lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, and ground sage and process to make a thick, creamy dip. If too thick, may add 1-2 tablespoons plant milk as needed to create desired texture.
- Transfer crema to a dish and stir in fresh sage, cranberries, and salt if desired. May garnish with additional freshly ground black pepper and fresh sage. Makes 8 servings (about 2 ½ tablespoons each)
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 1/2 tablespoons
- Calories: 312
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 236 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: vegan veggie balls, veggie balls, vegan entree