Tomato products provide just the right amount of pizzazz to pasta recipes, such as this hearty, plant-based Lentil Walnut Bolognese with Spaghetti dish.
- 1 cup brown lentils, dried
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 28-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 12 ounces spaghetti noodles, uncooked
- Garnish: 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Place a Dutch oven or large saucepan on medium heat and add lentils and water to the pot. Cover with a lid, bring to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to cook lentils for about 2 minutes until almost tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Add olive oil, finely chopped onion, minced garlic, finely chopped celery, finely shredded carrot, and finely chopped walnuts, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce, red wine, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and salt (optional). Stir well and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil to cook pasta. Add dry spaghetti noodles, and cook until al dente, according to package instructions (about 7 minutes). Drain noodles in colander.
- To serve: Divide spaghetti noodles among 6 serving plates or pasta bowls (about 1 ¼ cups each). Top with 1 cup of Bolognese sauce. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped basil. Alternatively, place spaghetti noodles in one large serving bowl, Bolognese sauce in another large serving bowl, and chopped basil in a small dish, allowing guests to serve themselves as desired.
Recipe, video and photography created for AICR by Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 463
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 294 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 78 g
- Fiber: 16 g
- Protein: 20 g
Keywords: vegan pasta, healthy pasta, lentil bolognese