Get this easy, classic vegan Mac & Cheese in the oven in under 10 minutes with 7 ingredients, based on simple items you can stock in your fridge and pantry.
- 4 quarts water
- 1 (16-ounce package) elbow macaroni
White Cheese Sauce:
- 1 quart (4 cups) plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened (i.e., soymilk, oat milk, almond milk)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 3 cups plant-based, shredded mozzarella cheese (i.e., Daiya, Violife, Follow Your Heart)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 ½ tablespoons breadcrumbs, vegan
- Add the water to a large pot, cover, and bring to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook over medium heat until al dente stage, according to package directions (about 7-8 minutes). Remove from stove, and drain in a colander.
- While pasta is cooking, preheat oven to 375 F and start preparing white cheese sauce.
- To make White Cheese Sauce: Add plant-based milk to a medium pot, and stir in cornstarch with a whisk, until smooth. Place on medium heat, add margarine, and cook, stirring with whisk, until thickened and bubbling (about 4 minutes). Add cheese, salt, and white pepper, and stir until smooth (about 2-3 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Combine cooked, drained macaroni, peas, and white cheese sauce together in a large mixing bowl.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, and pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into the baking dish, spreading evenly. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs.
- Place in oven, and bake, uncovered, for about 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
- Makes 10 servings (about 1 cup each).
To make this recipe gluten-free use gluten-free macaroni and plant-based cheese.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 457 mg
- Fat: 24 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 11 g
Keywords: vegan mac & cheese, best vegan mac & cheese, easy mac & cheese