You can make your own smoky, yummy, nutritious tempeh bacon yourself, the easy way! Just whip up a 6-ingredient marinade, chill it, and pan-fry into savory, delicious strips.
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon sriracha sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- Make Smoky Marinade: Combine soy sauce, vinegar, maple or agave syrup, liquid smoke, sriracha sauce, and garlic powder in a shallow dish.
- Remove the tempeh from its packaging, and slice tempeh very thinly along the short side of the block.
- Place tempeh slices in the dish with marinade, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and gently turn the dish over to distribute marinade. Place the dish right side up in the refrigerator to marinate 1-2 hours. Half-way through this period, gently turn over the dish again to redistribute marinade.
- To cook tempeh bacon, add 1 tablespoon of sesame seed oil to a large skillet and heat over medium setting. Remove the strips of tempeh bacon from the marinade, and add to the skillet, cooking just until golden brown (about 4-5 minutes) on first side. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame seed oil, and turn to cook the other side until golden brown (about 4-5 minutes).
- Remove and serve immediately.
- Makes about 36 thin strips (4 2-ounce servings each).
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 287 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 22 g
Keywords: vegan bacon, healthy vegan bacon, tempeh bacon