Call upon the gorgeous combo of dark chocolate and orange in these vegan, whole grain waffles that are rich in flavor and as pretty as can be.
- ½ cup aquafaba (the amount of liquid from one 15-ounce can of beans)
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 1 medium orange, zest and 1/3 cup juice
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 2 medium oranges, peeled, sliced
- Place aquafaba (the liquid from one 15-ounce can of beans) into an electric mixer bowl with sugar. Whip for about 5 minutes, until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold in orange juice and zest, plant-based milk, vegetable oil and vanilla until smooth.
- Add flour, cornmeal, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Gently fold in just until combined.
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour batter (about 1/3 cup) over hot waffle iron, close, and cook on medium-high setting, according to package directions, until crisp. Remove from waffle iron and repeat, making a total of 5 large waffles.
- Meanwhile, make Orange Sauce by placing orange juice and cornstarch in a small pot and whipping with a whisk until smooth. Add margarine and cook over medium heat, stirring with whisk, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in sliced oranges.
- Serve waffles with orange sauce. Makes 5 servings.
To learn more about aquafaba, check out my blog here.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 443
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 46 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 67 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: vegan waffles, orange waffles, chocolate orange waffles