If you discover cipollini onions turn them into the star of your meal with this simple vegan recipe, which you can get on the table in 30 minutes.
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound pasta (i.e., linguini, penne, or fusilli)
Caramelized Cippolini Onions and Mushrooms:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound cippolini onions, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 ounces mushrooms (i.e., oyster, brown, shitake)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 ½ teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup white wine
Thyme Cashew Parmesan:
- Bring water to boil in a medium pot. Add pasta, and cook, according to package directions, until al dente (about 6 minutes). Drain and return to pot to stay warm while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Meanwhile, make the caramelized onions and mushrooms. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan or skillet. Add sliced onions and garlic to pan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently for about 20 minutes, cooking until onions are very soft. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for an additional five minutes, stirring frequently. Add fresh thyme, salt, pepper and white wine and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until mixture is very soft and onions are turning golden brown.
- Add cooked onion mixture to pot with pasta, and toss together over low-medium heat until heated through (1-2 minutes)
- While onions are cooking, make the Thyme Cashew Parmesan by adding cashews, fresh thyme, garlic, nutritional yeast, and salt to the container of a small blender. Process for a few seconds, until the mixture is the texture of coarse send. Transfer into a serving container.
- Serve pasta with Thyme Cashew Parmesan.
- Makes 6 servings
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 213 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 8 g
Keywords: vegan pasta, best vegan pasta, healthy vegan pasta, cippoli onions