Almond Buckwheat Pancakes:
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened, plain plant-based milk (i.e., soy, almond, cashew)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (for gluten-free, use gluten-free flour, such as quinoa or sorghum)
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
Gingered Peach Topping:
- In a medium bowl, mix chia seeds with applesauce, plant-based milk, oil, and maple syrup with a whisk or electric mixer, beating well for 2 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. (You can make the Gingered Peach Topping during this time)
- Add cinnamon, baking powder, whole wheat or gluten-free flour, buckwheat flour, and almonds. Combine well, but do not over-stir.
- Heat a pancake griddle over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add 1/4 cup of batter to griddle and spread with a spatula. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Repeat to make 8 pancakes. Serve with warm Gingered Peach Topping.
- To make the Gingered Peach Topping: Drain the juice from the peaches into a small pot. Stir in cornstarch with a whisk until smooth with no lumps. Heat and stir until thick and bubbly. Gently fold in ginger and peach slices.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes each + 2/3 cup gingered peach topping
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 21 g
- Sodium: 40 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 65 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 12 g