These crunchy, delicious Coconut Cherry Dark Chocolate Waffles really pack in the nutrient power, thanks to coconut, cherries, dark chocolate and chia.
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (bean liquid reserved from 1 15-ounce can of beans, learn how to make it here)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 ¼ cups plant-based milk (i.e., soy, coconut, or almond)
- ½ cup coconut flour (may substitute for almond meal/flour)
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (may substitute with gluten-free flour to make this recipe gluten-free)
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch salt (optional)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup dark, dairy-free chocolate chips
- Place aquafaba in a mixing bowl and beat on high speed for a few minutes, until fluffy.
- Add chia, vanilla, coconut oil, palm sugar, and plant-based milk and stir together.
- Add coconut flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt (optional) to make a batter.
- Stir in coconut, cherries, and chocolate chips.
- Preheat waffle iron and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread ½ cup batter onto waffle iron and cook on medium-low setting until golden brown. Repeat until batter is finished.
To learn more about using aquafaba, check out my blog here.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 20 g
- Sodium: 59 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: waffles, vegan waffles, chocolate waffles