These corn muffins are nutritious, healthy, and easy to make. Plus, a scoop of real corn adds just the right “wholeness” to these hearty muffins.
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened, plain plant-based milk (i.e., soy milk)
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 teaspoons finely diced jalapeno (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 cup medium ground cornmeal
- 1 cup quinoa flour*
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ cup frozen corn, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a small bowl, mix chia and flax seeds with plant-based milk and oil (1-2 minutes). Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in jalapeno, sugar, cornmeal, quinoa flour, cumin, paprika, and baking powder just until smooth.
- Stir in corn.
- Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fill muffin pans with 1/3 cup batter.
- Place in oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes, until tender and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin pan and serve immediately.
*May substitute with another whole grain flour, such as whole wheat flour (which contains gluten), sorghum flour, or millet flour.
- Category: Muffins
- Cuisine: American, Latin
- Serving Size: 1 muffin (1/3 cup batter each)
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 24 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vegan muffin, healthy muffin, whole grain muffins