This rustic, traditional Greek yellow split pea spread is a nutritious staple, and absolutely delicious served with whole grain bread.
- Combine split yellow peas, 5 cups of water, garlic, ¾ of the chopped onion, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium pot, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 40 – 45 minutes (may take longer, depending on size of the split peas), stirring occasionally, until peas are very soft and mushy. Add additional water as needed to replace moisture lost to cooking. Should make a very thick, stew-like consistency.
- Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher until very soft. May have to add additional liquid to make a thick, creamy texture, without being runny or too dry.
- Heap on a platter and top with remaining chopped onion, olives, capers, and olive oil. Serve with toasted whole grain bread.
- Makes 10 servings (about 3/4 cup per serving)
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 111 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: greek fava, vegan fava recipe