Looking for an easy, vegan comfort meal-in-one? I’ve got your number with these easy, individual pot pies. Filled with veggies—zucchini, corn, carrots, peppers, onions—and tempeh, these savory mini pots of stew are topped with whipped potatoes and browned in the oven. The next time you’re making mashed potatoes, save the leftovers for this recipe and you can make it in no time!
Yields 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium heirloom carrots (or orange carrots)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 small bell pepper (green, red, yellow or orange)
- 1 cup frozen corn (or fresh, shucked)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (vegetarian seasoning blend)
- 1 teasapoon parsely flakes
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounces tempeh, sliced
- 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- Chives, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic, zucchini, and bell pepper and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and seasonings. Mix flour into broth and add to sauté pan and stir well. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and tempeh.
- Simmer, covered, stirring frequently, for an additional 10 minutes, until vegetables are just tender.
- While vegetables are simmering, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Divide vegetable stew among 4 oven-proof soup or mini-casserole dishes. (May place all of stew into one larger dish, if desired). Top each dish with ½ cup mashed potatoes, smoothing over surface of stew. (If using one large dish then use the entire recipe of mashed potatoes to cover surface.
- Place dishes on the top rack of the oven and heat for 15-20 minutes, until mixture is golden on top.
- Remove, garnish with chopped chives, and serve immediately.