- 1/3 cup canola oil, expeller pressed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (see note)
- 1 ¾ cups shredded carrots (about 3 medium)
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Plant-based milk, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the canola oil, vanilla, plant-based milk, honey, flaxseeds, and chia seeds and beat with an electric mixer or whisk vigorously for 2 minutes, until very smooth and fluffy.
- Stir in the carrots.
- In another bowl, blend the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Add to the wet ingredients, a small amount at a time, stirring only to combine. Fold in the raising and pecans.
- Bake the muffins for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool fully.
*Chia seeds, when combined with liquid, create a gel that can help provide some of the binding power that eggs tend to lend to dishes.
*You also may ice these cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting by whipping vegan cream cheese with cocoa powder and coconut palm sugar.
*Substitute chopped dates for the raisins, and walnuts, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts for the pecans.
*To make this gluten-free, substitute a gluten-free flour blend (such as Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur Flour) for the white whole wheat flour, and ensure all other ingredients are gluten-free.
*Nutrition information per serving: 278 calories, 5 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 4 g fiber, 17 g sugar, 258 mg sodium