For my Recipe Redux Challenge this month, we were asked to come up with an easy delicious, economical meal that you could prepare for $3. So, I came up with this easy one-dish meal, which can be whipped up in 15 minutes for next to nothing! It’s flavorful and packed with nutrients, thanks to chard, tofu, and hearty udon noodles, made with wheat. Plus, it calls upon the flavor of fermented kimchee, to give it a spicy-sour kick. Serve it in colorful Asian-style bowls with chopsticks for a fun meal.
Yields 6 servings
- 1 8-ounce package udon noodles
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced (orange, yellow, or red)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Thai seasoning blend
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 15-ounce package extra firm tofu, pressed (see notes), cubed
- ¼ cup spicy kimchee, finely diced
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 bunch rainbow Swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Bowl noodles according to package directions (do not overcook). Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Heat sesame and chili oil in a wok.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 8 minutes.
- Add Thai seasoning, red chili flakes, tofu, and kimchee and stir-fry for an additional minute.
- Add coconut milk, soy sauce, swiss chard, and cooked, drained noodles. Stir-fry for an additional 2 minutes, until chard is just wilted but still bright green and mixture is heated through.
- Divide into 6 bowls and garnish with cilantro, green onions, and peanuts.
How to press tofu: http://sharonpalmer.com/2014-05-20-how-to-use-a-tofu-press/
Last month, Ketchum launched its inaugural survey of nutrition experts around the world to understand what topics, ingredients, and dishes would shape the year ahead in food. They heard from 176 nutrition professionals across North America, South America, Europe,...
It was such a privilege to attend a fabulous nutrition conference in Vienna, Austria this past week, planned by the amazing Stephen McCauley of The Ginger Network, with speakers like Kate Scarlata, David Katz, Hilary Jones, Gregor Reid, Tieraona Low Dog, Jenny...
Enter to win our monthly Plant-Powered Giveaway in order to win a variety of fabulous prizes!
Check out Sharon’s upcoming schedule of speaking engagements and culinary demonstrations.