Create easy savory cups of goodness using filo dough, and an Italian sauté of onions, zucchini, herbs, and tempeh.
- 10 sheets of filo dough, prepared (frozen, thawed)
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 6-ounce package smoky tempeh slices, chopped
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted peppers, drained, sliced
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- To make pastry: Place one sheet of filo dough on a clean surface. Spray with olive oil. Place another sheet of filo dough on top, in a neat stack, and spray with olive oil. Repeat layers until you add the tenth and final layer of filo dough—do not spray with olive oil. With a pizza cutter or sharp knife, slice the stack of dough into 3 long vertical columns and then 4 horizontal rows, to make 12 squares of dough.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a 12 count, medium-sized muffin tin with olive oil spray and place a square of stacked filo dough into the center of each cavity, pressing into the bowl of the muffin tin to create a cup. Repeat to make 12 dough cups.
- Place muffin tin in the oven and bake for 7 minutes, just until slightly firm. Remove from oven.
- While pastry is baking in the muffin tins, make the filling. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large sauté pan or skillet and sauté onion, garlic, zucchini, and Italian seasoning blend for 6 minutes. Add tempeh, peppers, and sun-dried tomatoes, and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Fill the muffin tin pastry cups with filling, heaping it up and pressing it into each pastry cup. Divide filling among the 12 pastry cups.
- Return the filled pastry cups back to the oven and continue to bake at 375 F for 10 minutes. Sprinkle tops of the pastry cups with pine nuts and return to oven to bake for an additional 3-5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove and serve immediately. May also serve at room temperature.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 256 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: vegan entree, vegan dinner, savory dinner cups